Skip to main content

Part-time work

You’ll find lots of part-time jobs for students in and around Southampton, including on our campuses. And it’s not just about supplementing your student loan, as part-time work can give you experience that’ll boost your employability.  

We can help you find work

We recommend a maximum of 10 working hours per week to fit around your studies. 

As a University of Southampton student, we can help you find work locally, including:

  • part-time jobs
  • temporary work that fits around your studies
  • paid internships and work placements
  • projects helping to solve real issues for local businesses
  • volunteering opportunities

Our online career platform, MyCareer, connects students with paid opportunities across the city and beyond.

Jobs on campus

There are plenty of job opportunities right here on campus that are likely to be more flexible than other part-time work. You could: 

Become a Student Ambassador, leading activities and being a role model to young people.  

Get paid to have your say by becoming part of our Student Co-Design Panel. Strategic projects are brought to the panel at conceptual stages, to collaborate and get students’ ideas, thoughts and concerns. 

Work with the Student’s Union or take on temporary campus jobs, doing anything from catering to being a guest lecturer.

Apply for paid internships

Our internships offer short-term, real-life experience in the working world. All positions are fully paid and add great value to your CV and future application forms. 

Work restrictions for international students

If you are coming to the UK on a Student visa (Previously Tier 4) you can work up to 20 hours a week during term time. This doesn’t include work placements that are part of your course.

We’ll help you understand what you can and can’t do under your visa.

Part-time work and your student loans

As a UK undergraduate student living at home, before your course starts the money that you earn from a part-time job should not affect your student loans. This is because the money that you are entitled to depends on your family's household income.

If you are in other circumstances, such as living with a partner or supporting yourself as an independent student, then you will still be assessed on your household income and this may include your part-time earnings.

Find out more in the government's Student Finance Guide.